Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Yearning to Carnival

I have to say that I really enjoy blogging. Being able to weigh in on the events of the day, commenting over in my own little section of cyberspace is really fun for me. I come into contact with a variety of people who both agree and disagree with what I have to say, and the ensuing exchanges are always stimulating.

On the side of this blog, I try to keep a list of blogs I will visit on a regular basis, whose creators I find have something interesting to say. As you can see, not all of them fall squarely in the "libertarian" camp. But whether I agree with them or not, I think they are all decent writers and deserve to be read, if for no other reason that to stay informed on what various sectors of political universe are thinking and talking about.

So with that in mind, I’d like to take a quick run through my "blog log", and present some recent goodies offered by the people on my list over the past few weeks.

Against the State discusses the anti-military sentiment behind the war party’s view that we can’t leave Iraq, because it would be "dishonorable".

Rex Bell, of The Bell Curve , discusses how government "compromise" is usually a code word for exactly far to bend the taxpayers over the barrel.

Captain Capitalism, truly one of my favorite bloggers for his uncanny ability ability to find the most telling economics charts, graphs, and statistics, points out that more money doesn’t mean better education, and that the subprime mortgage market was a bubble just begging to burst.

The inestimable Sheldon Richman, whose blog Free Association often serves for a clearinghouse for the articles he writes for a whole slew of other publications, discusses America’s anti-militarist tradition.

Evan over at The Future Uncertain says we can fly global warming to the moon.

The Greater Cincinnati Libertarian has been really working against the proposed "jail tax" down there. The latest post is an article from Michael Earl Patton, the Libertarian Party Candidate for Cincinnati City Council. Patton’s website can also be found here.

Karen DeCoster, a CPA, discusses how ridiculous Sarbanes-Oxley and its corresponding bureaucracy is.

Mark Rutherford, the former Chairman of the Indiana Libertarian Party, keeps a blog documenting all of of the electioneering activities of libertarians occurring in that state.

No Third Solution points out Democratic Presidential candidate John Edwards’ comments on drug advertising and health care decisions is way off base.

Joseph, a contributor to the blog Plunderbund , stands up to defend Governor Ted Strickland from charges of being a "tax and spend liberal".

One of my favorite conservative opposition blogs, Right On!, discusses how counterproductive it is to mindlessly vote a single party line.

And finally, The Radical Libertarian hosts his own "Carnival", this one compiling a list of postings from other blogger of the Market Anarchist variety.

So, there you have it, folks. A quick tour of some of the other blogs on my list. Check them out and enjoy. They are worthwhile blogs to read, and I would encourage you to visit them often and see what they are saying. Also, if there some newer and...ah...um...gooder...blogs that you think I should be paying attention to, or include on my blog roll (including yours!), feel free to leave a comment and let me know.

Cheers!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Plunderbund post you refer to is actually Joseph. He and Brian are two other regular bloggers at PB. I can't take credit, though I wish I could at times. Thanks for the kudos though. We think PB is worth reading as well!

-Eric

2:46 PM  
Blogger Libertarian Jason said...

Thank you, Eric. I did not notice that. I will correct that right away.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just what is a "conservative opposition blog" there Jason? :)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Libertarian Jason said...

Meaning that you and I are of opposing political views...you are of the conservative stripe of that opposition.

But I do love your blog. :)

-LJ

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen TOO much that we REALLY come to blows over. Sure we're not of the same mind, but I don't think we're as far apart politically as you're thinking we are.

(says the man with the Ron Paul bumper sticker and campaign contributions to RP08.) Hey, I like the guy!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Libertarian Jason said...

I figured you might like Ron Paul, given that he's pledging to unleash the dogs of war against "illegals". I am a bit surprised that you would support him on account of his anti-war position, but hey, every prioritizes differently.

I am surprised you think we are close in views. Honestly, I find surprisingly little commonground in the principles from which we view things. Perhaps you can educate me.... :)

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well since neither of us have a list of "principles" from which to compare.

I was merely commenting on the fact that we have yet to really come to blows over an issue. I guess immigration would be one we COULD have but we've never really gone at it over anything.

I wouldn't say we're political "buddies" but you're one of my least combative readers ;)

2:24 PM  
Blogger Libertarian Jason said...

LEAST combative readers? Oh my... I must be slackin!!!

;)

To my mind, Conservatives are pro-State. Libertarians are not. Fundamentally, its an issue of the morality of the State, of which, in my view there is no moral justification. If I am wrong about this, feel free to correct me.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home