Saturday, May 20, 2006

Interesting Discovery About My Favorite Wine

Not that this has anything to do with politics, economics, or the like, but a recent conversation with a friend of mine prompted me to do some research on the topic.

My favorite variety of wine, Riesling, apparently is a very small, niche-market kind of wine. I was shocked to find out that it represents only about 1.4% of the United States market. My friend seemed to think that Riesling was so rare, it's hard to find except in certain areas. In my experience, Riesling is available almost everywhere I go, so I thought he couldn't possibly be right. But it represents a very small portion of the market. (Chardonnay is far and away the most popular, with about 21% of the market.)

If you enjoy wine, here are a couple of interesting reads:

Retail Sales Analysis

U.S. Department of Commerce, 2005 Wine Industry Outlook

1 Comments:

Blogger Vache Folle said...

Washington produces great and reasonably priced Rieslings and Gewurtztraminers. Chardonnay's popularity is a mystery to me except that it seems to be the generic white wine. Give me a sauvignon blanc or chablis over chardonnay any day.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home